The Rotman MMA
Master the skills needed to succeed in the field of management analytics with our full-time program that runs from August to April.
What is management analytics?
Management analytics involves developing a precise understanding of the factors influencing managerial decisions, and designing data and analytical solutions to support these decisions.
It encompasses the multiple skills needed to extract insights from real-world business data, including:
- Acquire a deep understanding of the managerial problem
- Identify the data sources and create analytical data sets
- Designing, validating and implementing analytical solutions
- Communicating your results effectively
During the program, the Management Analytics Practicum will provide an opportunity to gain in-depth experience in each of these stages on a real-life managerial problem.
The Rotman Master of Management Analytics
The MMA is is a nine-month program which runs from August to April. The program is structured so that you initially focus on the tools and techniques before moving on to application of analytics to management situations.
(August to September)
Familiarize yourself with Rotman and gain an overview of the topics your will be covering during the program.
- Analytics in Management
- Data-based Management Decisions
- Bootcamps (SAS, SQL, R, Python)
Analytical Tools and Techniques
(September to December)
In this term, students learn about a wide range of analytic tools, ranging from simple predictive models to more complex statistical models of learning to simulation-based tools.
- Structuring and Visualizing Data for Analytics
- Modeling Tools for Predictive Analytics
- Big Data Analytics
- Tools for Probabilistic Models and Prescriptive Analytics
Managerial Uses of Analytics
(January to April)
This term looks at the typical challenges organizations face, and whether data can be used to solve them. It considers the types of data available in different sectors and departments, and how they can be used to meet organizational objectives.
- Improving Customer Value with Analytics
- Analytics for Marketing Strategy
- Analytics Insight Using Accounting and Financial Data
- Optimizing Supply Chain Management and Logistics
Management Analytics Practicum
(September to April)
The practicum provides an opportunity for student teams to engage with a real-world business problem. You will devise an analytical approach to solving a managerial issue and working with your counterparts in the organization, present a design for the analytical data set and model development, then execute and present results.
The courses within the program, topics covered in the colloquium and other resources at Rotman will help you in producing the best possible solution to managerial challenges during your practicum.
(September to April)
A series of mini-courses throughout the program exposes you to current trends and topics. The areas covered are reviewed annually to ensure the most important issues are covered. Certain topics, such as ethics, will be covered each year.
Topics covered in 2018/19 include:
- Ethical and Legal Issues in AI
- The Basics of API Usage and Design
- Hadoop for Data Science
- Text Analytics and Semantic Analysis
- Neural Network: Topology and Tuning
- Deep Learning
As analytics matures as a profession, gaining professional certification is becoming increasingly important. While obtaining professional certification is not a program requirement, you will be supported and encouraged during a two-week period to write professional certification exams for organizations such as SAS.