Sustainability and Society
Creating value for business and society
The need for the positive impact of business on our society and environment has never been more important. Lead the change by developing innovative solutions for social impact, corporate social responsibility, and sustainability issues.
The Sustainability and Society emphasis explores the evolving relationship between business, society and the environment, with the intent of building leadership and long-term competitive advantage through responsible management.
Consider pursuing this emphasis if you are interested in:
- Responsible investment or social finance
- Environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues in business
- Business strategies that pursue sustained, long-term resource efficiency
- Innovation strategies that employ sustainability as a source of new, profitable growth
- Corporate social responsibility or corporate citizenship strategies and programs
- Social entrepreneurship or social innovation
Requirements to complete the Sustainability and Society emphasis
Complete five half courses (2.5 FCEs) with at least two half courses (1.0 FCE) from the list of main courses. See the Registrar's Office for more detailed information.
- Sustainability Strategy
Building Businesses for Sustainability
- Corporation 360
- Clean Energy: Policy Context and Business Opportunities
- Leading Social Innovation
- OnBoard (Honours/Pass/Fail)
- CityLab (Honours/Pass/Fail)
- Special Topics in Finance: Impact Investing (Honours/Pass/Fail)
- Environmental Finance and Sustainable Investing
For detailed information on each elective course, please see our MBA electives guide.
Independent study projects (ISPs) and consulting projects (ICPs) on related topics are also possible. They must be overseen by a Rotman faculty member. Please consult with the Registrar's Office for more information.
Note that other courses offered at Rotman or elsewhere at the University of Toronto, such as the School of the Environment or other schools, may be considered, but must be approved.
Sustainability and Society resources at Rotman
Back to previous page→
Major in Sustainability