MFin students live and work in the Toronto area, have an undergraduate degree, and relevant work experience in finance or business. They aim to accelerate their careers to become future finance leaders.
1. A recognized four-year undergraduate degree
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 or a mid-B average in the final year of a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university
- If you studied outside of Canada, use the School of Graduate Studies' International Degree Equivalencies site to calculate your GPA
- Candidates who do not meet the GPA requirement may be eligible for non-standard admission
2. Work experience
- Minimum of two years of work experience in finance or a finance-related field strongly recommended.
- On average applicants have five years of work experience. View our MFin Class Profile tab for more details.
This program is structured for working professionals. We expect all students have employment in the Greater Toronto area prior to starting their studies.
3. GMAT / GRE score
A GMAT or GRE score is required. Exemptions are available if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Passed CFA Level II or above
- Passed the Common Final Exam (CFE) (or former UFE) for a Certified Professional Accountant (CPA) designation
- or equivalent designations in other jurisdictions recognized by CPA Canada or CPA Ontario
- University of Toronto graduates with a high distinction (3.5 GPA or higher) and graduates of an accredited university with a GPA equivalent to a University of Toronto 3.5 or higher once converted and with the permission of the MFin Academic Director
- Obtained a professional designation in Engineering (P.Eng) or Actuarial Science (ACIA or FCIA)
- or equivalent designations in other jurisdictions recognized by Engineers Canada or Canadian Institute of Actuaries, respectively
GMAT test code: BTD-KS-41
GRE test code: 0853
- 2 work references, submitted as part of the online application
- 1 written essay (250 words), submitted as part of the online application
- All candidates who are admitted to the program will be interviewed. Interviews are by invitation only
7. English language proficiency
One of the following:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized English language university
- TOEFL iBT (internet based test) score of 100 overall, with a minimum of 22 on speaking and writing. TOEFL test code: 8696.
- IELTS minimum required score of 7.0, with at least 6.5 for each component
The application fee is $195 CAD.