The Leadership emphasis focuses on your development of one of the most important career skills: leadership.
Leadership involves a myriad of skills, including how to drive organizational change, increase individual and organizational performance, resolve conflict, negotiate with stakeholders, and increase your influence in key decisions.
"Some leaders shut down the intelligence of the people around them, while others amplify it."
- Liz Wiseman, former global leader for human resource development for Oracle, in an article for Rotman Management Magazine
In essence, you will learn behavioural skills and systems that are designed to facilitate leadership and change management within the organization. Your career will no doubt involve numerous leadership positions in which you must use every resource at your disposal to position your organization, your team, and yourself for success.
Requirements to complete the emphasis in Leadership
Complete five half courses (2.5 FCEs) with at least two half courses (1.0 FCE) from the list of main courses. See the Registrar's Office for more detailed information.
- Organization Design
- Managerial Negotiations
- Power and Influence in Organizations
- Leading Teams
- Effective Leadership
- Business Law
- Advanced Negotiations and Conflict Management
- Aligning People and Strategy
- The Socially Intelligent Manager
- Business Problem Solving: A Model-Based Approach
- Leading Social Innovation
- C-Suite (Honours/Pass/Fail)
- Getting It Done®
- Top Manager’s Perspective
For detailed information on each elective course, please see our MBA electives guide.
Leadership resources at Rotman
Career Paths for the Leadership
A typical career path for many graduates is to assume leadership roles in their respective organizational areas of expertise or as consultants. Your individual leadership style will emerge over time. Nevertheless, developing a skill set during your MBA will prepare you to assume these leadership roles early on, as the transition to being a leader does not take place overnight. Whether you are interested in entering consulting, entrepreneurial ventures, or organizational functions such as quality management, finance, accounting, operations, strategic management, or human resource management, leadership and your ability to bring about change will play an important role in your careers.
- Heather Briant (MBA '90), Senior Vice-President, Human Resources, Cineplex Entertainment
- Mary Sullivan (MBA '95), VP, Corporate Human Resources, Four Seasons Hotels
- Monica Donahue (MBA '92), Vice President, Human Resources, McCain Foods Ltd
- Sean Kogan (MBA '90), President, Recruiting in Motion
Back to previous page→